Saturday, August 30, 2008

Book Review - The Faith of Barack Obama


While not a particularly religious person, that does not prevent me from finding value in and from those who are.  A view I have only achieved slowly over time.  That being said, I have for sometime now enjoyed reading the blog of Michael Hyatt. He frequently blogs interesting things and insights I would not otherwise have considered.  He recently sent me a copy of a new book and asked that I review it, "The Faith of Barack Obama" by Stephen Mansfield.

I was initially a bit skeptical of how Mansfield would handle such a highly charged political figure.  As recent review of the two candidates for president on www.snopes.com reveals my concerns.  John McCain has five urban legends which Snopes addresses, and yet Barack Obama has over 30 urban legends which required debunking.  So I proceeded with caution, looking of objective review as opposed to muck racking.  

I must say that once I relaxed, determining the author was going to handle the material with objectivity, I was able to enjoy the book very much.  I found Mansfield's navigation through many of the difficult subjects fair and balanced.  He did not tell me how to feel or what I should think, but rather he laid out a very interesting story and brought new insight which I needed.

If you are looking for a book that will be strongly negative or positive and tell you how to take this candidate this is not the book for you.  But if you are a person interested in discovering the many facets of this individual then I think Stephen Mansfields book does that exceptional well. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.